Sunday, November 1, 2015

Entry #2 Let The Music Play

My wife believes that I am in need of some form of help that would quell my music addiction. Music is my best friend and she knows that. She will do her best to make sure that we avoid record shops, thrift stores or unique boutique when we are driving around. Maybe I will ask you- the reader to see if she “possibly” right.

My fondness of music started when I first heard the beat within my mother’s womb. After I was born my music introductions came by my father who played records of Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller and other music icons of the 40’s. My grandmother would play music from Mexico, which consisted of mariachis and ballads. Other relatives would entice my ears with country, rock, oldies, r&b …..

Well- if you read my first blog you would know the part of my growing up experience with music.

So- about my wife and her illogical thoughts of my habit that she believes is compulsive.

I am a collector of music. I have a habit of downloading music from anywhere I can find it. The internet… records… libraries. I even record music from my iTunes stream. My wife is glad that this part is digital. It took me years to sell all my records, cassettes and cd’s.

Another habit she believes I have is concert t-shirts. Maybe she is right on this one. It started as a business venture a while back. I would find old rock shirts at the thrift stores around the valley and resell on e-bay. A year ago I s


tarted to wear the merchandise that I was to sell. Unfortunately this is not digital and has taken over our closet. She had the nerve to take the first concert shirt I bought her from 1978 and put it in her safety deposit box. It’s from an Oingo Boingo concert. I tried to reason that we both can no longer fit in small but she believes that I would find a way to stretch it to an extra large. Maybe she is right that I would try anything to make the holy grail of all the shirts fit.

 She believes that every concert I have attended is a factor on my hearing loss. My first concert was at the L.A. forum. I was very young…maybe 10 or 11. My sister took me to see Al Greene. Blue Magic and Tavares. Today many who are there to register the event on their phone tarnish the music scene. Yesterday in Tempe I attended a concert by Tool. Most everyone in the crowd had cell phones taking video- my point here is she believes that I will attend any and all concerts every available second of the day- and that this is the reason I might tell people to repeat themselves multiple times.


Sometimes I feel like it’s a way back to a time that different. Sometimes songs are reflection to an event or a place in my life. maybe wearing the rock shirts are a ay to strike up a conversation… I tell her that when I leave this place- to make sue that I am in a rock shirt and that I have music piped into my casket.

4 comments:

  1. Rock--Nice new entries. Interesting, thoughtful and complete. You are working to engage your audience and be yourself at the same time. Good. Keep it up.

    How was the Tool show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you- the TOOL show was good- and hope i can see them when they possibly tour in 2016,

      Delete
  2. Everyone has their addiction at least yours is not drugs.

    ReplyDelete