Sunday, November 15, 2015

Blog Three Slanted Reporting

Slanted Reporting for me is no different than all the bull crud that people post on social media feeds.

Many times I will have someone share a new piece to me and will ask were they received the info. And many times that answer will be the “INTERNET” = /=
Well if it’s on the Internet it must be true. Now I might be getting off track here but lately I saw a few people share an advertisement for a t-shirt that read I might not have a PHD but I have a DD214. For you non-military people, a DD214 is a separation paper from the service. I have some friends that have a PHD and a DD214…and what the misbelief on the shirt is interpreting is that everyone who has this paper is honorably discharged. Many of my military friends have liked this shirt failing to see that the company has slanted an advertisement for sales.

And I use to think that it was TMZ or the National Enquire that had was on the forefront of this type of reporting. My views changed after the Los Angeles Riots of 1992. It seemed like titillation became the norm overnight as every type newsprint, magazine and television/cable were altering facts and stories to get a piece of the ratings that would garner future ad revenues.

Me personally, I have integrated all my news a story from multiple sources so I could interpret on my own if a story is being changed due to over zealous reporting.

Many years ago the New Times was reporting stories about Maricopa County Sheriff, Joe Arpaio. The voters have the belief that he is the toughest sheriff around and is a leader on illegal immigration. New Times was reporting that Arpaio was running amuck with the then county district attorney, Andrew Thomas, on false reports on judges, lawyers and council members. Many people at the time had a hard time believing the New Times- and for a while the Arizona Republic failed to inform the public of the tactics that were being used.




Many people at the time believed that it was slanted reporting from a small publication that many felt had a beef with the sheriff. Today, the sheriff knows that he is treading on thin ice, and many people fail to see the truth and still call the reports about him slanted.

2 comments: